Debt can be burdensome and can put a lot of pressure on individuals and families. However, by following some simple tips on how to get out of debt, you can reclaim your life back as you slowly begin to ease the burden.
When I was growing up, one thing our parents always stressed was the importance of a good education and how it would determine what kind of a job we will secure when we grow up. A secure job meant a secure family living in a secure home, in a secure suburb.
As I grew older, however, I began to realize that my perception of the successful working life was somehow warped. They never went on holidays. Their lives revolved around home and office. There was a lot of disconnection amongst even our closest family members.
I also came to learn that most of them were struggling with debt.
So I grew older and I moved out of home and started a family of my own and here I found myself going through the same cycle my parents and their friends had gone through. Living from day to day, doing my job, paying the bills, credit cards, loans and trying to raise a family.
I went on to pursue a career in design in the hope that I will get myself a good job. It never happened
One thing led to another and I ended up driving trucks for a living. This went well for a couple years but did not end well either. Within a very short period of time, I had accumulated a lot of debt.
Job security is no longer a reality.
Even with a growing global middle-class population, the rich are still getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.
A good number of middle-class earners are falling on either side of the bandwagon. In fact, there much more falling on the poor side than the rich. This is due to average incomes remaining constant as the cost of living goes up.
This has lead to a cycle of debt. Debts always lead to worry and stress. You don’t need to look far to see the effects of living a stressful life. We were never meant to do life like this.
It’s hard for many people to admit that they are struggling financially. The fact is many of us go through life with the burden of debt hanging over. Accepting that it’s not all rosy is the first step. Coming up with a plan is the next.
How can you free yourself of debt?
You should do everything in your power to free yourself of debt. Living with a debt hanging on your shoulders is like walking around with a heavy load strung over your shoulders.
Those phone calls and the mail will not stop coming in. It’s tedious and leads to emotional distress. Doing things a little differently, can enable you to start freeing yourself from debt.
- Consolidate your debts. 34% of what you pay on credit cards, loans and outstanding fines and bills go to interest. Consolidating your debt will drastically lower your payments and give you a little peace of mind.
- Sell stuff you don’t need. Dispose of items around the home that you have no use for. It could be old furniture or an old car. That could be money in your pocket.
- Negotiate with your bank or your financial institution about lowering interest on loans and credit cards. Most banks will be very supportive in terms of them helping you cope with your debt.
- Transfer your credit. Banks are always trying to win new customers and way they entice customers to move from others banks is by credit transfer. Some banks will charge 0% interest for up to 15 months on your credit card balance giving you ample to time to get on top of your debt.
- Pick up extra work. Companies are always hiring casual stuff from time to time. If you have a couple of extra hours in the week, you could do casual work. That can make a huge difference in your budget.
Cut down on personal expenditure. Some things can wait. A new pair of shoes or that daily latte at the tuck shop. They might appear like minimal expenses but they always add up.
- Start a business. The internet has opened a lot of opportunities for entrepreneurs. Starting an online business could well be your ticket to freeing yourself off debt.
Glad you came this far and many thanks for reading my post. If you have a question or comment, please leave them below. I would love to hear from you.
Hi folks. Thanks for dropping by. I am a graphic designer and also build websites for local businesses. I am also a member of Wealthy Affiliate. WA is a community-based training platform that truly delivers. It offers a variety of tools, training, and support, and best of all, it’s FREE to get started with. Check it out and see if it’s a good fit for you.